11 Self Storage Packing Tips
Packing Carefully Makes Self Storage Easy!
Get your cardboard boxes and tape at the ready.
* Be prepared. Gather all the materials and supplies you need before you start: boxes, tape, packing materials, markers, furniture covers and so on. Remember, Easy Self Storage sells everything you need.
* Label, label, label. Mark every box with its contents, and keep a written inventory as you pack.
* Use the right box. Use large boxes for light items (linens, pillows, lamps) and smaller boxes for heavier items (books, CDs).
* Take care. Pack small things carefully into boxes with appropriate packing materials. Resist the temptation to toss things into a garbage bag; they risk damage from knocks or bumps and mildew from lack of ventilation.
* This side up. If you combine different weights of items in one box, always put the heavier things on the bottom and mark the box “this side up.”
* Don’t overload. Packed boxes should only weigh as much as you can lift without straining – for most people, less than 40 pounds.
* Tape it up. Make sure all your packed boxes are securely sealed with packing tape, with the tops flat (to make it easier to stack them).
* Hang it up. Use a wardrobe box to hang clothing, draperies and other fabrics that need to breathe and be kept crease-free.
* Break it down. Disassemble bed frames and lash them together with tape or twine. Use small plastic bags to store screws and bolts and tape them to the frame that they belong to.
* Respect breakables. Wrap dishes and glassware individually, and pad the box with packing paper or bubble wrap.